Four majors down, four playoff events (and a Ryder Cup) remain.
While yes, the bulk of the schedule and the four biggest tournaments for 2018 are complete, don’t give up on golf for the year just yet.
We have the Wyndham Championship this week, which may not be a top-tier event, but after that we’re full systems go as the FedEx Cup Playoffs begin and are followed by the Ryder Cup at the end of September.
Here’s the schedule:
The playoffs work as follows:
- The top 125 players in points plus ties after the Wyndham qualify for Event #1
- Each player will carry all points earned through the FedExCup competition through the first three playoff events — there will be a progressive cut after each of the first three events
- The Northern Trust opens the FedExCup Playoffs with 125 players and ties, followed by the Deutsche Bank Championship with 100 players and ties and the BMW Championship with 70 players and ties.
- The top 30 players earning points through the BMW Championship will be eligible to play in the TOUR Championship
- The points leader after the conclusion of the TOUR Championship will win $10 Million
Bubble players heading into the Wyndham
Some interesting names there, including three Canadians (Conners, Taylor and Silverman) and 2017 Masters Champion Sergio Garcia.
So there you have it. An interesting week coming up to see who gets into the playoffs, and then the real games begin. It may not live up to the four majors, but with $10 million on the line and a chance to see Tiger Woods (among others) playing up to five times between next week and the end of September; you can count me in.